Society history

The St. Ives Music and Drama Society was founded in 1935 by Charles Cannon. The early productions were concert versions of traditional English works such as  Merrie England and Tom Jones along with oratorios including Elijah and St Paul.

There were no performances during the Second World War years, though the minutes of the AGM of 1944 state that the assets of the society stood at £43 8s 10d. This allowed the first staged production to be produced, Merrie England in 1947.

In 1965 the Society changed direction with the performance of it's first American musical in 1966, Oklahoma! Stage plays, Variety Shows and Old Time Musicals followed and the acronym SIMADS appeared for the first time.

The balance sheet became a little healthier and in the early 1970's an old army hut, to serve as a scenery store and workshop, was acquired and erected by the members themselves on leased land, which was subsequently purchased.

The society is affiliated to NODA (National Opera and Drama Association) and, with the exception of the War years, has staged productions almost continually, usually two each year.

The society is very fortunate to have a dedicated membership and, of course, such good support from our audiences.

Further contributions to this page would be particularly welcomed - please contact us with your memories!

.